Under general supervision, the Assistant Store Manager supports the Store Manager in all facets of store operations. The principal business outcome for this position is to ensure that outstanding customer service experiences are provided using elements of GameStop's buy, sell, trade, and reservation business model, The Circle of Life. This includes ensuring the store is clean, well organized, properly merchandised at all times, answering questions, and assisting with product selection, purchases, and returns. This position supervises Game Advisors and Sr. Game Advisors in the absence of the Store Manager.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES*
* Provide best in class customer service:
promptly greet customers, respond to customer concerns and complaints quickly, effectively and courteously; align customer needs with GameStop product and benefit solutions, and recommend additional items as appropriate, and ensure every customer is thanked for shopping at GameStop; prioritize customers over tasks and demonstrate that commitment by circulating throughout the store to assist them.
* Promptly process customer purchases/return transactions via Point-of-Sale computer system via PC keyboard, including making accurate change, placing merchandise in a bag, and removing receipt from the printer to give to customer.
* Respond to customer comments or questions in person or on the phone; answer phone calls promptly, courteously and professionally, using the prescriptive phone greeting provided by GameStop.
* Promote GameStop's unique customer benefits:
new title reservations program, and Power Up Rewards customer loyalty program.
* Assist with supervising staffing levels to achieve optimum customer service at all times and ensure that best-in-class customer service is consistently provided.
* Provide timely and appropriate feedback to the Store Manager concerning staff performance and address as directed.
* Assist the Store Manager with training store associates in all aspects of their job responsibilities, including company/store policies, procedures, and guidelines.
* In partnership with the Store Manager, conduct store inventory counts, stock/restock merchandise on shelves and fixtures, and move product from the stock room to the front of the store to ensure that all products in the store are represented, organized, and alphabetized on the sales floor.
* Assist store team in meeting sales, profit and shrink goals and accomplish administrative and operational duties set by Store Manager.
* Count, balance and reconcile daily business transaction totals correctly and accurately in the point-of-sale (POS) system; ensure that Game Planner and all closeout paperwork for daily business transactions and bank deposit slips are completed correctly and accurately; ensure store has sufficient cash and change for sales transactions; make bank deposits daily per established guidelines.
* Verify all shipments for discrepancies/shortages and record any discrepancies in the POS system; conduct merchandise counts/inventories and communicate discrepancies to Store Manager/District Manager.
* Adhere to all loss prevention guidelines, including but not limited to, visually inspect associates' and managers' packages and/or belongings.
* Ensure all store fixtures and equipment is in proper working order.
* Process defectives/recalls and stock pulls accurately and promptly, ensuring that all boxes are properly labeled and include packing lists.
* Maintain awareness of associate and customer safety; identify and immediately address potentially hazardous situations.
* Assist in maintaining store records/files in a neat and organized manner; help ensure that manuals are up-to-date.
* Building Customer Loyalty - Effectively meets customer's needs; builds productive customer relationships; takes responsibility for customer satisfaction and loyalty.
* Contributing to Team Success - Actively participates as a member of a team to move the team toward the completion of goals.
* Delegating Responsibility - Allocates task responsibility to appropriate others to maximize the organization's and individual's effectiveness.
* Energy - Consistently maintains high levels of activity or productivity; sustains long working hours when necessary; operates with vigor, effectiveness and determination over periods of time.
BASIC AND PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS (EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE)
* Must be at least 18 years of age and present state-required proof of age documents
* High school diploma or GED required; An Associate's or accredited Bachelor's degree with an emphasis in business, marketing, merchandising, or related field preferred
* At least 2 years of retail sales, customer service and/or leadership/management experience required; at least 6 months of retail management experience preferred
* Must be able to bend, stoop, reach with arms/hands, climb on ladders, and lift merchandise weighing up to 30 lbs. from ground level to minimum height of 4 feet
* Must be able to work alone and move throughout the store unassisted for up to 12 hours
* Ability to make bank deposits as needed according to Company guidelines
* Video game knowledge preferred, but not required
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS, JOB SKILLS, ABILITIES
* Proficient customer service skills
* Proficient ability to communicate effectively with others using spoken and written English; bilingual (English/Spanish) skills preferred
* Ability to work in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
* Proficient knowledge of operating a point-of-sale computer system and properly completing required paperwork
* Proficient understanding of basic math functions (add, subtract, multiply, divide)
* Working knowledge of alphabetizing
* Proficient self-motivation and ability to work as a team to complete necessary tasks in a timely manner
* Proficient problem solving skills and judgment abilities
* Proficient ability to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form
* Ability to deliver bank deposits according to loss prevention safety guidelines
* Ability to work extended hours/days as necessary, including Sundays
* Ability to remain effective under pressure; ability to handle stress in a manner that is acceptable to others and to the organization
* Consistently demonstrates a commitment to GameStop policies and procedures, including but not limited to, attendance, confidentiality, conflict of interest, and ethical responsibilities
* Demonstrated commitment to all Respectful Workplace policies, procedures, and general expectations
* Possess or acquire during employment on-boarding a working understanding of military ranks and related insignia (*applies only to positions in stores located on military bases)
* Consistently follows and adheres to all GameStop Affirmative Action Program related policies and procedures (*applies only to positions in stores located on military bases)